⚫️ AR 15 Charging Handle is…
⇢ a component of the AR-15 rifle platform, which is a popular civilian semi-automatic rifle based on the military M16 rifle. The charging handle is located on the upper receiver of the rifle and is used to manually chamber a round in the firearm and to clear malfunctions.
- ⚫️ Ambidextrous Design: Many AR-15 charging handles feature an ambidextrous design, allowing for easy operation with either hand. This feature is particularly beneficial for left-handed shooters or in situations where quick and efficient manipulation of the charging handle is required.
- ⚫️ Extended Latch: Some options have an extended latch that provides a larger surface area and improved grip for easier and more reliable operation. This feature enables a more secure and positive engagement of the charging handle, especially in high-stress situations or when wearing gloves.
- ⚫️ Oversized Handle: An oversized variant offers an increased gripping surface, making it easier to locate and manipulate, even in low-light or high-stress scenarios. This feature can enhance overall weapon control and speed up reloads, particularly when combined with a textured or knurled surface for improved grip.
- ⚫️ Rugged Construction: They are typically constructed from durable materials such as aircraft-grade aluminum or steel. This ensures their reliability and longevity, even under harsh operating conditions. Some models also feature enhanced finishes like hard-coat anodizing or corrosion-resistant coatings, further improving their durability and resistance to wear.
- ⚫️ Smooth Operation: Quality options are designed to provide a smooth and consistent operation, facilitating reliable chambering of rounds and efficient ejection of spent casings. This feature is essential for reducing malfunctions and enhancing the overall performance of the firearm.
- ⚪️ Enhanced Ergonomics: Ambidextrous designs, extended latches and oversized handles improve ergonomics and ease of use, allowing for the comfortable and efficient operation of the charging handle. This translates into improved control, faster manipulations, and reduced fatigue during extended shooting sessions.
- ⚪️ Faster Reloads: The combination of an oversized handle and an extended latch enables quicker and more intuitive reloads, as the charging handle can be easily grasped and pulled back without requiring excessive manipulation. This benefit is particularly valuable in competitive shooting, self-defense situations, or any scenario where every fraction of a second matters.
- ⚪️ Improved Weapon Control: A charging handle with an extended latch or oversized handle provides a more secure grip, enabling shooters to maintain better control over their AR-15 rifle. This can be crucial when shooting from unconventional positions, during rapid-fire sequences, or when wearing gloves or other protective gear.
- ⚪️ Durability and Longevity: Options constructed from robust materials and featuring rugged finishes are designed to withstand the demands of regular use and adverse environmental conditions. By investing in a high-quality charging handle, users can expect long-lasting performance and reliability, reducing the need for frequent replacements.
- ⚪️ Reliability and Functionality: Smooth and consistent operation of the charging handle is essential for reliable firearm function. By utilizing a well-designed charging handle, shooters can minimize the risk of malfunctions, enhance the overall performance of their AR-15, and maintain consistent shooting experiences.
DON’T Ride the Charging Handle ❌
📢 Riding the charging handle refers to a technique in firearms where the shooter holds onto and controls the charging handle during the firing process, typically on a semi-automatic or automatic firearm. 🔐 After deep research, our team revealed that the primary reason why it is generally advised not to ride the charging handle is safety. Then, we outlined some other reasons:
|➡️ Risk of Malfunction: Riding the charging handle can potentially interfere with the proper functioning of the firearm. Firearms are designed to cycle properly without any external assistance. By holding onto the charging handle, you may inadvertently impede the normal operation of the weapon, leading to malfunctions or failures to feed, extract, or eject cartridges.||➡️ Potential for Injury: In some cases, riding the charging handle can pose a risk of injury. When a firearm cycles, the bolt carrier group moves forcefully back and forth within the receiver. If your hand or fingers are positioned incorrectly or get caught in the charging handle or other moving parts, it can lead to painful injuries or even pinching, crushing, or severing of digits.|
|➡️ Increased Wear and Tear: Riding the charging handle can cause excessive stress on the firearm’s components, particularly on the charging handle itself and the bolt carrier group. These parts are not intended to bear the weight or force applied by the shooter during firing. The additional stress and wear can accelerate the rate of mechanical failures or damage the firearm over time.||➡️ Training and Muscle Memory: Riding the charging handle can interfere with proper firearms training and muscle memory development. Many training programs emphasize the importance of maintaining a consistent shooting grip and allowing the firearm to cycle naturally without interference. By adopting the practice of riding the charging handle, you deviate from the standard technique and may struggle to develop proper shooting habits.|
✅ There may be specific situations or firearm designs where riding the charging handle is acceptable or even necessary, such as certain competition shooting events or specialized firearms. ❌ However, for the average shooter, we recommend avoiding riding the charging handle to ensure the safety, reliable operation, and longevity of the firearm.
🎥 Watch the video to learn more:
Best AR-15 Charging Handle | AR-15 Charging Handle Review
1# Radian Weapons Raptor Ambidextrous AR-15 Charging Handle
The first model is a pretty good example of an ambidextrous charging handle that can be used from both sides of a rifle. It’s not cheap but it’s very efficient. The device is made of aircraft-grade 7075 aluminum with a hard coat anodized finish, which makes it lightweight, corrosive-proof, and durable. Thanks to the unique design, it’s easy to install and easy to use even with wet or cold hands. Besides, your rifle will look better. Thanks to the smoothly-machined edges, snags are reduced a few times.
2# Strike Industries Extended Latch AR-15 Charging Handle
Regarding cheaper models, this handle is a great choice for everyone who values good balance. The handle is also lightweight because it’s made of aluminum, and it is perfectly extreme conditions, thanks to an extended grasping surface. What is curious about this model is that it can co-exist with SI ARCH, which increases the efficiency of use.
3# Radian Weapons Raptor-SD Ambidextrous AR-15 Charging Handle
The next one is not from the low-budget segment again, so you will have to prepare your wallet. However, it offers decent features, such as smooth operation, simple use from strong and support sides, great compatibility, unique design, and solid material that ensure comfortable use under any conditions. With the help of this handle, you will never get into trouble on the battlefield.
4# Precision Reflex M84 Gas Buster AR-15 Charging Handle
If you like to feel safe and you want to keep your rifle as clean as possible, M84 Gas Buster is just for you. This handle will not only provide you with a comfortable both-sided use, but it will also help you get rid of gases, oil, and dirt that spoil the operation of your weapon. Classic T6 7075 aluminum ensures the best durability, which means you don’t have to worry about the lifetime of the device.
5# Strike Industries Strike Latchless AR-15 Charging Handle
This model has pretty good characteristics for a reasonable price. You won’t probably find anything more like this. Despite the price is really low, the handle is made of solid materials and provides you with the following features: ambidextrous architecture, high-efficiency gas vents, snag-free design, great grasping surface, and easy installation. The only downside of this model is that it’s compatible with standard mil-spec AR15 only.
6# Precision Reflex M84 Gas Buster AR-15 Charging Handle
If you don’t need an ambidextrous gas buster, you can buy this model that has the same characteristics as the 4th one but without a two-handed operation. It’s available in two different colors: black and flat dark earth. This handle is not only a useful device that will keep your firearm clean and ready to work but also a good element of design. Although the price is not low, you can feel safe and calm because M84 will work for a long time.
7# Timber Creek Outdoors Enforcer Ambidextrous Charging Handle For AR15/M16
One more amazing example of an ambidextrous charging handle. There is nothing much to say about this model, except for the fact that it’s very convenient to use with any optic, thanks to the oversized levers. Aircraft-grade aluminum construction makes the device solid enough to ensure smooth operation under various conditions for many years. You won’t be disappointed by this purchase for sure.
8# XTS AR-15 Charging Handle
Sometimes we don’t need anything special, we just need a good, standard charging handle without additional features. If you think so, this one is exactly what you are looking for. A simple handle made of aluminum with an anodized finish. Available in 5 different colors: black, red, bronze, blue, and purple. Low price, simple use, durable construction — this is what you need.
9# Bravo Company MFG BCMGUNFIGHTER AR-15 Charging Handle
When comes to good balance, BCMGUNFIGHTER is one of the best solutions for any shooter. You can get a decent charging handle at a reasonable price, so take a look at this model. Solid 7075 T6 aluminum construction with a type 3 hard coat anodize finish makes the device lightweight and corrosive-proof, and a great snag-free design allows you to use the handle from both strong and support sides. The large gripping surface ensures the most comfortable use.
10# Aero Precision AR15/M4 5.56 Ambidextrous Charging Handle
This is also a good charging handle for both right-handed and left-handed shooters, thanks to the ambidextrous design. As always, handles from the high-budget segment are made of 7075 T6 aluminum with an anodized finish, therefore, your device will last for much longer than other low-priced ones. This model comes in black color, which fits any rifle and makes it look better.
11# TRYBE Defense Ambidextrous Enhanced Mil-Spec AR-15 Charging Handle
All the previous models are rather similar, so it would be great to review something different. For example, a handle designed by TRYBE Defence has an interesting contoured construction, made of durable materials, that prevents catching. Plus, it’s easy to use because of its ambidextrous hand mode and comfortable grabbing.
12# Armaspec Victory AR15 Charging Handle
A great piece of work designed by Armaspec. Just a solid charging handle for AR15 that will not let you down. It doesn’t have outstanding features, but it’s a confident tool to modify your rifle to keep it in a good condition. In addition to this, this model is pretty stylish and comes in 7 different colors: red, blue, flat dark earth, green, black, silver, purple. The price is quite reasonable so you won’t regret it for sure.
13# Strike Industries SI ARCH AR 15 Charging Handle
More handles by Strike Industries! This model will suit people who want a very durable product without extra features and high prices. The quality of this handle is high because it’s made of the same 7075 T6 aluminum that is used for pricey items. A polished surface ensures the smoothest charging. The only disadvantage we have found is the absence of two-sided use.
14# AIM Sports Inc AR-15 Charging Handle
And the last model on our list is also cheap but good. A standard, classic charging handle with an anodized finish. Durable, easy to install and use, and lightweight. It’s not the best choice for combat, but it’s a good solution for professional shooting.
BONUS: FAB Defense GL-CORE CP AR-15 Buttstock for Mil-Spec and Commercial Tubes
Also, take a look at buttstocks for AR15 to improve your maneuvering ability and aiming accuracy. This model is made of durable but lightweight, fire-glass polymer composites with no protruding parts, which means you will not get slowed or disturbed while on the go. Plus, three positions for cheek-rest make it more convenient to use your rifle.
How to Replace It? 🔧
🔧 To replace an AR-15 charging handle, you will need some basic tools and follow a few steps. 📝 Here, our specialists shared a general guide on how to do it:
- 1️⃣ Ensure firearm safety: Before performing any work on a firearm, make sure it is unloaded and the chamber is clear. Follow proper firearm safety protocols.
- 2️⃣ Gather the necessary tools: You will typically need a flathead screwdriver or Allen wrench, depending on the type of handle you have. Additionally, having a small punch or a roll-pin punch set might be helpful.
- 3️⃣ Remove the upper receiver: If you have an assembled rifle, you may need to remove the upper receiver from the lower receiver. This step may not be necessary if you have a separate upper receiver.
- 4️⃣ Locate the charging handle: It is typically located on the top rear portion of the upper receiver. It is connected to the bolt carrier group.
- 5️⃣ Identify the attachment method: There are various types of handles, such as the mil-spec latch, ambidextrous latch, or extended latch. Determine the attachment method of your charging handle to understand how it needs to be removed.
- 6️⃣ Remove the charging handle: Depending on the type of attachment, you may need to perform different steps:
➔ For a mil-spec: The mil-spec handle is held in place by a rolling pin. Use a small punch or roll pin punch to drive out the roll pin from the charging handle latch. Once the roll pin is removed, the charging handle should slide out from the upper receiver.
➔ For an ambidextrous or extended latch: These handles often have screws or bolts that hold them in place. Use a flathead screwdriver or Allen wrench to remove the screws or bolts securing the handle. Once the screws or bolts are removed, the handle should slide out.
- 7️⃣ Install the new charging handle: Take your new variant and align it with the slot in the upper receiver. Slide it into place until it is fully seated.
- 8️⃣ Secure the charging handle: If you have a mil-spec option, reinstall the roll pin using a punch to drive it back into position. For ambidextrous or extended latch handles, use the screws or bolts provided to secure them in place. Tighten them securely but avoid overtightening.
- 9️⃣ Reassemble the upper receiver (if necessary): If you had to remove the upper receiver, carefully reattach it to the lower receiver following proper assembly instructions for your specific firearm.
- 🔟 Function check: Once it is installed, perform a function check by ensuring it moves freely and locks the bolt carrier group into the rearward position when pulled back.
💡 Remember, this is a general guide, and specific AR-15 models and charging handles may have slight variations in installation procedures. 🔎 Always consult the manufacturer’s instructions for your specific firearm and handle to ensure proper installation. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with the process, seek assistance from a qualified gunsmith or firearm professional.
🎥 Watch the video to see the approximate process:
Finding the right AR 15 charging handle can be a daunting task. We’ve broken down common questions and provided reviews on some of the best products available. Your next step is to decide which product will work best for your needs and budget. Whether you are looking for something lightweight or more heavy-duty, there is sure to be an option that meets your requirements in our Buyer’s Guide. With these tips in mind, we hope it will be easier than ever for you to find just what you need! 😉
Tags: #Best #AR-15 #Charging Handle #Side #Upper #Ambidextrous #BCG #Extension #Drop #Custom #Bolt #Gold #Red #Modification
My articles are precisely analyzed technical information and equipment specifications that allow a real hunter to assemble a decent set of weapons for multi-day outings in the wild. From the tents to the well-oiled gun, everything should meet the demands of the extreme entertainment enthusiast. Technically perfect weapons can greatly facilitate hunting even in the wilderness — choosing only the most qualitative, modern optics and other accessories for weapons, hunting efficiency will be maximum.
When choosing a weapon for hunting, pay attention to its specifications, and, above all, to the convenience for yourself — using high-quality equipment, you will discover the wonderful world of accurate shooting and successful hunting even in those weather conditions that don’t imply hope for the shooter's eyes. Yury Alexeev - weapon and hunting expert, CEO of Silencer.Systems
Read more about our team of expert authors.
Affiliate Disclosure: Rotorm.com sometimes gets paid for listings, through sponsors or affiliate programs like Amazon, Optics Planet, Lucky Gunner, Brownells, Cabelas, Rainier Arms, 5.11 Tactical, Bass Pro Shop, etс. Clicking a link helps keep Rotorm.com free, at no extra cost to you!
About the author: Each article on our site is written by experts in survival and tactical equipment, gun enthusiasts, extreme travelers, military, law enforcement and desperate professionals, read about the author at the bottom of the article or visit "About Us" page.
Note: The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.