What are backup iron sights?🧐
They are a type of firearm sighting system that provides a secondary aiming option to the shooter. This device is typically mounted on the top rail of an AR-15-style rifle and can provide greater flexibility concerning sight placement for better accuracy when shooting.
Backup iron sights are an essential accessory for any shooter or hunter who wants to ensure accuracy in their aim. These sights can be used as a backup system if primary optics such as red dots or scopes become damaged or malfunction. Here are some features:
- ✴️ Sight radius – The distance between the front and rear sight determines accuracy at different distances and plays a role in the overall effectiveness of the sight. A longer sight radius will make it easier to acquire targets accurately at longer ranges.
- ✴️ Adjustability – Adjustable sights can be more precise than fixed iron sights by allowing users to take into account their individual preferences or environmental conditions such as windage, elevation, parallax, and target size.
- ✴️ Eye Relief – This is the distance from your eye to the rear of the sight that allows for sufficient sighting without impacting accuracy. Longer eye relief often means that higher recoil weapons can be used with these sights without any issues.
- ✴️ Durability – Tactical iron sights should be made from high-quality materials such as aluminum or steel to ensure that they can withstand the elements and everyday use.
Backup iron sights offer several advantages to the modern shooter.
- ⭐️ For one, they provide an alternative aiming system that is reliable and easy to use in case of an emergency or failure of primary optic sights.
- ⭐️ These sights also allow for greater targeting accuracy as they are typically adjustable with windage and elevation controls.
- ⭐️ Additionally, such sights are designed with robust construction and durable materials for long-term reliability and performance in harsh conditions.
- ⭐️ When paired with a quality optic sight, they can provide the best of both worlds – accuracy from a distance and fast target acquisition up close. This versatility makes them ideal for hunters, law enforcement personnel, military personnel, competitive shooters, and more.
Are these sights needed anymore?🤔
Backup iron sights are still a highly important piece of equipment for many firearm users. While modern red dot sights have become increasingly popular for precision shooting, backup sights provide an extra layer of security and accuracy if the red dot sight fails or runs out of battery power.
- ☑️ Such sight systems feature quick-detach mounting systems, offering a fast and easy transition from a magnified optic to an unmagnified one. This can be especially useful in close-quarters self-defense scenarios where fast target acquisition is essential.
- ☑️ They also offer an additional advantage over red dot optics when it comes to low-light scenarios where vision may be impaired. Iron sights will acquire targets faster in low light, as well as allow shooters to engage with greater accuracy due to the lack of distortion from the reflected lens of a red dot sight.
😉 Overall, these sights remain an essential component of any shooter’s toolkit due to their versatility and reliability in any situation.
TOP 10 Backup Iron Sights
1# Feyachi 45-Degree Offset Iron Sights
This is a simple backup sight for left-handed and right-handed people which is mounted at 45 degrees and is made in the style of A2. It can be called iron only for the reason that it is made of metal, not plastic. Made by the Chinese company Feyachi from an aluminum alloy, and therefore optimally light and durable. Rather tough activation buttons protect against self-disclosure, but it takes some getting used to. The adjusting screw allows you to adjust the sight taking into account wind and height. A good option for a small budget or when your main optics are not reliable.
2# Iorman Ultralight Flip-Up Sight
This is an ultra-light backup sight made of hard plastic. Strong enough and resilient to hold its shape, but very light and small so as not to interfere with other ammunition. After a long and fine-tuning allows you to hit targets up to 50 yards. To use, you need to press the small button and the spring mechanism activates the sight. Tilt your weapon 45 degrees and your shot will be accurate! This is a really small and light product from a Chinese factory for a small price. If you do not need a designer logo and a big name for the manufacturer, this may be a good choice as a RESERVE SIGHT.
3# Marmot 45-Degree Offset Flip-Up Sight
Sometimes Chinese manufacturers are pleasantly surprised, and this is an example of such cases. “Marmot” introduced a really good sight for shooting at 45 degrees. Aluminum alloy provides excellent rigidity and does not create additional pressure or significant weight. The design is very smooth and neat. The standard Pic mount fits all things and the A2-style scope provides true pleasure. When setting the wind scale and altitude and hear a nice tactical click. This indicates that the setting will not be lost. In the cheap price range, this thing leaves plastic competitors far behind.
4# Troy BattleSight Front HK Fixed
This triangular sight brings us back to the old triangular shape of the gas block. This has its style and charm. Notches on the back help reduce glare and make aiming more enjoyable. There should be no problems with this sight because of the absolute simplicity and mandatory compliance of all AR sights with “industry standards”. But if difficulties nevertheless arose here is a small army trick. You can use a conventional bullet to calibrate the sight. Insert the tip of the bullet to press the piston, pushing the scope clockwise or counterclockwise. The rest is a sturdy product from American gunsmiths. The high price is a fee for quality and name.
5# Souforce Premium Flip Up Mil Spec Iron Sights
This is a sturdy metal angular sight. Easy to install due to compatibility with most rail systems. It can be mounted on the left and right sides. If you do not want to scratch, use bolts, not the supplied screws. To adjust the up/down, press the small locking pin on the left. Take a flat-head screwdriver (or something small) and insert it into the round base with cutouts and rotate. Clockwise removes it, and counterclockwise returns it. When you get what you want, release the button. It is spring-loaded and allows it to pop out back between one of these cutouts. Chinese quality has left its mark on this product. A weak spring unreliably activates the sight. If you have thumbs – manual opening can bring additional troubles.
6# Ozark Armament Flip-Up Iron Sights
Ozark’s hinged backup scope is the power of metal and the accuracy of American gunsmiths. If you do not compare this sight with an elite brand, you will get a decent product, especially for this price! Suitable for airsoft and for shooting at 100 yards with proper settings. For better adjustment, use a drop of pistol oil (before installation) to slide all the joints. The sight can look bulky and protrude 1.41 “above the rail. This is the price for high strength and reliable mount.
7# UTG Super Slim Flip-up Front Sight
This is a simple backup sight for short and medium distances. Full compatibility with Picatinny rails and flexible adjustment allows for a quick and easy setup without using a lot of rounds. This is not 5 stars and is not activated by a button with a spring, but enough to do your job. The locking mechanism is a little clumsy and can be either too stiff or loose. Before use – be sure to use pistol oil for lubrication, as a plastic retainer ball hides behind durable aluminum. Without lubrication, each activation will quickly erase a small layer of plastic and this will loosen the lock. To prolong the life of the sight, try not to warm up the weapon too much.
8# Tacticon Armament Flip-Up Iron Sights
This is an iron backup of the main sight. It is shipped in a beautiful wooden box with a universal hex key and a key for setting the front sight. Thanks to its presentable appearance, it can be a good gift for a weapon lover. This sight fits snugly enough against the rails and when folded has a very small gap. Folded height for front sight 1/2 inch, rear 7/8 inch. If in doubt whether this backup sight will fit on your rifle, simply measure 2 steps for each part. If you succeed, then sight will be a suitable backup addition. By the way, the rear sight will work successfully with the standard A2 front sight. This gives additional maneuverability when choosing a kit.
9# Magpul MBUS Front & Rear Flip Up Backup Sight
If you are tired of Chinese fakes and metal sights looking flimsy – the original Magpul is what you are looking for. The shock-resistant polymer backup sight leaves no chance even for a small play. Sometimes there are cases when the sight has to be hammered onto the rail with a tactical hammer (very tight)! The front sight can be mounted directly on the gas block. Even after 200 shots, he will not lose shape and remain strong. If the design of your weapon is important to you, this scope has the color Flat Dark Earth. This is very stylishly combined with an FDE color rifle and many others. This seller only sells original Magpul. If you are looking for true quality among polymers – this is the offer for you.
10# Tacticon 45-Degree Offset Flip-Up Iron Sights
The side standby sight made of high-quality aluminum alloy is equally well suited for both left-handed and right-handed people. A sufficiently rigid opening button protects against accidental activation but requires moderate strength for both opening and closing. The kit has assembled a universal key and a key for the front sight. It is all packed in a beautiful wooden box. Sometimes it seems that with the help of these useful pieces the seller distracts from the quality of the sight itself. We can not say that this is 100% true, but it seems the secret of the popularity of attractions from the “Tacticon armament” is very simple. They set the price for a new product at the cost level and receive positive feedback. After which Amazon recommends their product as the best. Now the price rises to normal, but a large sales portfolio can be misleading when compared with competitors. If this is true, this is not fair play.
How to set it up?🛠️
Having a reliable set of backup iron sights (BUIS) can provide valuable assistance when it comes to achieving accuracy and precision with your rifle.
- ➡️ First off, you’ll need to prepare the gun by making sure the rail on top of the receiver is free of obstructions like dirt or grime that could interfere with proper mounting. To do this, use a cleaning rod with patches attached to clean the top of the receiver and rail. Make sure all surfaces are dry and free of any debris before attaching your BUIS.
- ➡️ Once the rail is completely prepped for installation, you can begin attaching it. Start by loosening the screws on each side of the sight base so that they’re just loose enough to slide onto the rail but not so loose that they fall off during installation. Once these screws are in place, you can attach one side of the sight base into position first, followed by tightening both screws securely.
- ➡️ On most BUIS systems, there will be three adjustment knobs located along either side of the sight base: elevation adjustment knob (corresponding with vertical movement), windage adjustment knob (moving left/right), and aperture tension knob (used for adjusting reticle brightness). Securely tighten each one using either a flathead or Phillips screwdriver as needed until all three are locked in place.
- ➡️ Next, you’ll want to adjust your front post/aperture circles depending on how far away your target will be at various distances; for example, use smaller circulars around 100 yards and larger circulars around 300 yards if necessary. To adjust these settings, loosen the aperture tension knob and rotate the front post/aperture circles until your desired elevation and windage setting are achieved. Then simply tighten the knob to lock it in place.
- ➡️ Finally, you can adjust the BUIS reticle for precise aiming at various distances. This will be done by loosening the screws on either side of the sight base, then adjusting the elevation and windage knobs until you achieve your desired aiming point. Make sure to securely tighten the screws once again after adjusting.
Backup iron sights are a great accessory for any gun enthusiast, and with the right knowledge, you can make sure you choose the best product for your needs. We hope this article has provided useful information about such sights to help guide your decision-making process. Investing in quality sights is always a smart move because they provide additional accuracy when aiming at targets from a distance or close range. Whether hunting or plinking cans off fences, having reliable backups will ensure you have more accurate shots each time!😉👍
Remembering my past, I ask in bewilderment: “How am I alive after all my adventures?” - harsh trials, reckless parties, love affairs, and a sea of silliness.
My hobbies are weapon upgrades, tactical gear, and the latest in wilderness survival technology. I have hundreds of different survival gadgets in my collections, which are sent to me for "test-driving" by Amazon, eBay, and other online retailers. That's what I write about, and I also make YouTube videos about them! Stay tuned!
Read more about our team of expert authors.
Affiliate Disclosure: Rotorm.com sometimes gets paid for listings, through sponsors or affiliate programs like Amazon, Optics Planet, Lucky Gunner, Brownells, Cabelas, Rainier Arms, 5.11 Tactical, Bass Pro Shop, etс. Clicking a link helps keep Rotorm.com free, at no extra cost to you!
About the author: Each article on our site is written by experts in survival and tactical equipment, gun enthusiasts, extreme travelers, military, law enforcement and desperate professionals, read about the author at the bottom of the article or visit "About Us" page.
Note: The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.