What are Puck Locks? 🧐
They are a type of security system that can be used to secure bicycles, skateboards, scooters, and other objects. The locks provide a high level of protection from theft by utilizing an integrated locking mechanism that combines both the physical lock and internal alarm systems.
Puck locks offer a safe and secure way to lock up your valuables. With their unique design, these locks are small enough to fit in the palm of your hand and can be easily carried around with you wherever you go.
- 📝 The most important feature of them is that they come with a keyless design. This means that you don’t have to worry about keys being lost or stolen. Instead, locks use a combination of four discs that are held in place with a spring-loaded mechanism. When the correct combination is set up, the lock will open and allow access to your belongings.
- 📝 In addition to their design, most of these locks also come equipped with tamper-resistant features. This makes it more difficult for someone to break into the lock by using special tools or techniques. Some models even feature high-security cylinders that offer an extra layer of protection against tampering.
- 📝 Some models can also be configured to sound off an alarm if anyone attempts to tamper with the lock. This is an excellent way to deter would-be thieves and alert you of any attempt to break into the lock.
Puck locks are one of the most secure and reliable locks available on the market.
- ⭐️ First and foremost, these locks are incredibly simple to install and use. They can be quickly and easily affixed to almost any door or gate and require no complex wiring or programming. This makes them ideal for use in both residential and commercial settings.
- ⭐️ Additionally, the simple installation process means these locks can be installed in minutes without the need for a professional locksmith, saving you time and money.
- ⭐️ Another benefit is their durability. Made from high-quality materials such as stainless steel and hardened plastic, these locks are built to last even in the toughest conditions. The combination of robust construction and corrosion-resistant finishes also ensures that it can stand up to years of constant use without needing regular maintenance or repair.
- ⭐️ They offer enhanced security features that give peace of mind when using them. These include optional keyed cylinders which can be used with traditional keys or programmed with electronic keys that allow access for authorized personnel only, as well as more advanced features like biometric fingerprint scanning technology which further reduces the risk of unauthorized access.
How to install it? 🛠️
Installing a puck lock is fairly straightforward and the process is similar for all types of puck locks. 🚩 Before beginning, make sure that you have all the necessary tools and hardware to complete the installation.
- ➡️ First, install the mounting bracket onto the door according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Depending on your particular model, this can involve drilling holes into your door and using screws to secure it in place.
- ➡️ Next, attach the latch mechanism to the mounting bracket. This will be specific to your model of puck lock and may require some minor adjustments such as adjusting screws to get the correct fit.
- ➡️ Then, attach the back plate of the lock to the latch mechanism and then slide it into place on the mounting bracket. Make sure that all components are securely connected before continuing.
- ➡️ Finally, use your screws or other hardware to secure the lock in place. Be sure to refer to your manufacturer’s instructions for details and make any necessary adjustments as needed.
TOP 10 Puck Locks 💥
1# Master Lock Hidden Shackle Locks Keyed
This puck lock is made by the Master Lock company and the reviews are very nice. This lock is made of Zinc alloys, which is a pretty good choice of metal and we’ll explain to you why. First of all, the impact resistance of zinc alloys is higher than those of other alloys like cast aluminum alloys, plastics, and others. Of course, zinc is not the toughest material out there, but the lock is of good quality for its price. The next thing we’d like to point out is that zinc alloys provide high strength and protection against bolt-cutter attacks. Zinc alloys are non-sparking as well so they can be used for hazardous objects. Of course, you can not use these locks for everything, they might not fit your trailer or whatever you are going to use the lock for, so you need to carefully measure the hasp/latch on your door. Also, check the depth of the hole on the hasp. The manufacturer left the size dimensions in the provided schematic; you should read the description carefully to ensure that the lock will fit you, all exact parameters are indicated by the seller. Talking about the downfalls of the product, some people complain about the keys. The key is difficult to take out of the cylinder. Some people even managed to break the keys, so you must be aware of this fact if you think of buying this product. Nevertheless, people are satisfied with its quality, so you can consider buying this one.
2# Mardili Lock Hidden Shackle Trailer Puck Padlocks Rekeyable Keyed Alike
All in all, the reviews on this product are very nice, there are a few comments with remarks though. The lock itself constitutes a 6-pin cylinder with spool pins. The manufacturer says that due to the solid steel shackle, the lock can resist bolt cutters or any physical attacks. That is probably fair because there are no comments about the lock being not tough or safe enough. The manufacturer claims that the lock is weather resistant because it is made of Steel with a chrome surface, which can withstand different weather conditions, with no spring to rust or jam. Nevertheless, we’ve found some comments about the rusting of the lock. The manufacturer warns, however, that the lock may not suit very wet weather. In that case, you should probably choose stainless steel material. It is more expensive, but it will be worth the money if your living area is rainy. Again, you should carefully measure everything to ensure that the lock will fit with your door, and if it does you should consider buying it because the lock may be a very good choice for an affordable price.
3# Nu-Set Hidden Shackle Padlock with Hockey Puck Lock
Our next competitor is a padlock made by the NU-SET company. The negative comments, in general, did not have remarks for the lock itself, but the most common problem is that upon receipt keys are missing. It is a question of quality control. Nevertheless, there are numerous reviewers pleased with the lock. The case padlock of solid steel and the hidden steel shackle protects against forcible attacks and bolt cutters. Chrome rustproofing provides longer use of the lock. You should be careful because the lock certainly does not fit every door, you should check before purchasing it. To sum up, we’d like to say that the lock is a decent choice and despite some of the limitations it has a good value for money.
4# Trimax THP2XL Keyed Alike Trailer Door Lock
The Trimax lock has a pretty solid heavy construction, protects against bolt cutters, and has no exposed shackle to cut. Solid steel and thick body with 3/8 diameter internal shackle do the protection job just fine and all of the positive comments confirm that fact. Despite its high protection ability, there are some complaints about the quality. Rusting is probably one of the most common problems with the lock. Many comments point out that the lock starts rusting pretty fast. This lock may be suitable if you need to use it for a short time and you do not want to spend a lot of money. It does not tolerate cold and rainy weather conditions, but considering its price, you should expect that. Some of the comments claim that the lock works just fine after a few years of use, but it seems like not everyone is that lucky with the product. We’d recommend you think about all the pros and cons before purchasing it.
5# War-Lok Heavy Duty Puck Lock and Hasp
The WAR-LOK Heavy Duty Puck Lock fits with different kinds of doors like van rear, vending, industrial, storefront, business gates, and swing doors. Sure everything is individual and of course, you should check all the available information before buying it. The lock should withstand hammers, bolt cutters, drills, sledgehammers, and physical attacks. A good thing is that the lost keys can be replaced (if registered with the manufacturer). There are not many negative reviews and they are mainly related to delivery and customer service. Some received a completely different lock or a key was missing in the package, it may be frustrating. The manufacturer claims that the hardened steel lock is non-corrosive and weather-resistant. However, some people may not agree, it seems that the lock doesn’t fit in very cold or wet weather, and may freeze or rust (there were isolated cases, but there were no such complaints in general). Nevertheless, the lock itself seems to be very strong and secure, considering most of the comments. You should consider this an option for you, if you are not ready to spend too much money on the lock this may be a good option.
6# Ft. Knox Locks Andersen Hitch Ultimate Connection Lock Includes
Our next participant seems to be extraordinary. First in our top with a 100% 5 stars rating from Amazon users! There are very few comments, but everyone is happy with the quality. Let’s see what is so great about it! The lock is made with fully welded steel with welded hinges and hinge pins to provide very high security against bolt cutters, and physical attacks and can only be defeated with power tools or a cutting torch! This lock is custom-made to fit the Andersen Ultimate Connection RV 5th wheel to gooseneck conversion, which means it will not fit with ordinary doors!!! You should read more information on the website, to decide whether it is worth it. The company also provides a lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects, which is a very pleasant bonus. If the lock fits you, we believe that it is an amazing choice for you!
7# SnapSafe Key Padlock (Set of 2 Padlocks Keyed Alike)
This lock is made of stainless steel and was сreated to be used for many different tasks like padlocks for storage, tool, and trailer boxes. There are many other uses, such as securing sheds, gates, and bicycles. The padlock can be used outdoors or indoors due to its rust and corrosion-proof abilities. A great feature is that the lock has three drain holes, which protect it from water filling during the rain. Appears to be a good-quality lock. However, people complain that different padlocks can be opened using the key from another one of them, which is a serious security issue. This is practically the only significant drawback, but it can cross out all the advantages of the padlock. You probably should think twice before buying this product!
8# Daygos 4 Digit Combination Disc Padlock with Hardened Steel Keyless
This lock is made of stainless steel and it should fit great for different tasks like storage units, fences, garages, sheds, trailers, moving trucks, etc. A great thing is that you can easily set a combination of your password and reset it if needed (there is an instruction in the description of the product). The 4-digit combination padlock logically is much more secure than the 3-digit one. Despite its durability and reliability, there is one little remark though, some people think that the plastic slider that opens the lock feels flimsy and is not suitable for the steel lock. It can easily break. Most of the reviews are very satisfied with the quality though and the lock seems to be durable so we would recommend you to think about purchasing this product!
9# Brinks Home Security Discus Lock 4 Pack
The next lock we want to introduce you to is the lock by BRINKS. Let’s see its strong and weak points. Stainless steel shackle provides superior cut resistance. The lock seems to be doing an excellent job for those places where weather-resistant security is required, so if that’s what you’re looking for don’t pass by. The manufacturer claims that by purchasing it what you get is a 4-pack of locks all keyed alike, but some reviewers say that the information is misleading and they are not keyed alike, be aware of that fact. That information may be important for some customers. You can read more accurate information in the product description. This lock provides pretty good security, but if you need an extra high one then you probably should use another lock. All in all, we’d say that the lock is worth your attention and does its job just right, and if it suits your requirements, it may become a good purchase for a great price!
10# Master Lock 6271D Hidden Shackle Padlock
Last but not least in our top 10 is this Master Lock 6271D Padlock. Master Lock seems to be getting good reviews from the purchasers; the quality of their product may be worth your attention. The lock seems to protect the doors very well, made sturdy. However, it seems like not all weather conditions are suitable for the lock, it may rust. This lock can get gummed up in the cold weather. You should see all the technical details on the website, but be careful with the size, measure everything before purchasing because the lock is made more for commercial and industrial applications and does not fit with some trailer doors. If the measurements and everything else are suitable for your aims, then this product is a pretty decent choice for the price.
How to remove it without a key? 🔐
If you lose your key or forget the combination of your puck lock, there are a few methods to open it.
- 🔑 The first method is to use an angle grinder. This is usually not recommended since it can damage the lock and cause security issues in the future.
- 🔑 Another option is to use a shim device, which slowly and safely separates the two halves of the padlock without damaging them. However, for that solution, you may need some level of technical expertise and know-how.
- 🔑 Some puck locks are designed with an emergency opening feature, which means they can be opened without a key or combination. This can be useful if you have children who may accidentally lock themselves out of their homes.
Puck locks are a great way to secure your belongings and provide you with peace of mind. With so many different types available, it can be difficult to know which one is best for you. Our buyer’s guide has provided answers to some common questions about locks as well as reviews of the top products on the market today. We hope this article will help you make an informed decision when selecting a lock that meets all your security needs. Thanks for reading! 🥰❤️🔥
That is why it is important for me to find good items that will help me and my family have a good time without too much hassle. I like to look for stuff for myself or gifts for my loved ones. We also share the high-quality products we find with each other, and I think it is really important to transfer your opinion and knowledge, that is why I am pleased to share the useful information I find with other people. I'm so happy that my family helps me in this matter. We hope that someone really finds this helpful and interesting enough!
Read more about our team of expert authors.
Affiliate Disclosure: Rotorm.com sometimes gets paid for listings, through sponsors or affiliate programs like Amazon, Optics Planet, Lucky Gunner, Brownells, Cabelas, Rainier Arms, 5.11 Tactical, Bass Pro Shop, etс. Clicking a link helps keep Rotorm.com free, at no extra cost to you!
About the author: Each article on our site is written by experts in survival and tactical equipment, gun enthusiasts, extreme travelers, military, law enforcement and desperate professionals, read about the author at the bottom of the article or visit "About Us" page.
Note: The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.