If you’re a gun owner, chances are you’ve had to change the base plate on a magazine at some point. It’s not a difficult task, but there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure it’s done correctly.
Here’s a quick instructional on how to change base plates on Glock magazines:
1. Remove the magazine from the gun. Make sure the firearm is unloaded and there is no ammo nearby.
2. Take off the old base plate by depressing the detent (round spring-loaded button) and sliding it off.
3. Put on the new base plate, ensuring that the detent lines up with the hole in the magazine body. Some aftermarket baseplates may require you to slightly bend the detent outwards to fit.
4. Test the magazine by inserting it into the gun and pulling the trigger. The magazine should fall free when released.
If you have any questions about ammunition or tactical gear, feel free to contact us. Our experts would be happy to help.
Follow these steps:
1. Remove all ammunition from the magazine and ensure the chamber is empty.
2. Place the magazine upside down on a solid surface and press the release button on the back of the magazine to release the floor plate.
3. Use a punch or other small tool to remove any remaining pins from the old floor plate (this may not be necessary with some models) and then remove the old floor plate from the magazine body.
4. Install the new floor plate onto the magazine body, making sure that it is properly aligned. If there are retaining pins, use a punch or other small tool to install them.
5. Insert the magazine into the gun and test it to make sure it functions properly.
Changing the base plate on a Glock magazine is a relatively easy process that can be completed in just a few minutes. Here are the steps you’ll need to follow:
1. Begin by ensuring that the magazine is unloaded and that there is no round in the chamber.
2. With the magazine inserted into the gun, rotate it so that the access hole for the follower assembly is facing upwards.
3. Use a small punch or another tool to depress the locking tab located inside of the access hole. This will allow you to remove the floor plate assembly from the magazine body.
4. Once the floor plate assembly has been removed, simply reverse these steps to install a new base plate onto the magazine.
Changing the base plate on a Glock magazine is a fairly simple process. First, you’ll need to remove the old base plate by depressing the magazine release and pushing the plate forward. Next, take the new base plate and slide it onto the magazine until it locks into place. Finally, insert the magazine into your firearm and test it out to make sure everything is functioning properly.
Of course, before you attempt any sort of gunsmithing, it’s always best to consult with a qualified professional to ensure that you’re doing everything safely and correctly. Messin’ round with guns can be dangerous business!
What is the purpose of a base plate?
A base plate serves two primary functions:
- to provide a stable and flat surface for the magazine to rest on when it’s not inserted in the gun
- to protect the magazine from damage when dropped.
As far as actually changing the base plate, it’s relatively simple.
First, make sure that your gun is unloaded and that there is no ammunition in the immediate vicinity.
Next, locate the release button on the side of the magazine and depress it. The base plate should now be free to slide off.
To install the new base plate, simply reverse the process. Start by aligning the plate with the magazine body and then depressing the release button to secure it in place.
It’s worth noting that some aftermarket base plates may require a bit of modification to fit properly. If this is the case, consult the instructions that came with the product or reach out to the manufacturer for assistance.
Changing the base plate on a Glock magazine is a relatively simple process, but one that must be done carefully to ensure the safe and reliable operation of the firearm. There are two methods for changing the base plate- one is to use a punch tool and the other is to simply push down on the base plate with your thumb.
We’ll go over both methods so you can decide which is best for you.
If you have a punch tool handy, simply align the punch tool with the bottom locking tab on the magazine (as shown in the video below) and drifit outwards. This will release the tension on the locking tab and allow you to remove/replace the base plate. Be sure to line up the punch tool correctly, as applying too much force in the wrong direction can damage the locking tab.
To remove the base plate without a punch tool, first, check that the magazine is unloaded. Then, holding the magazine upside down in your non-dominant hand, use your thumb to push down on the front of the base plate (as shown below). This will release the locking tab and allow you to remove/replace the base plate.
Once the base plate is removed, you can proceed to clean the magazine body and follower as needed. To reassemble, simply reverse the process. Be sure that the magazine spring is properly seated before attempting to insert the base plate, and do not force the base plate on- it should slide on easily.
With both methods, it is important to take care not to damage the locking tabs on the magazine body. These tabs are what keep the base plate securely in place, and if they are damaged the magazine may become unreliable or even dangerous. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact a qualified gunsmith or firearms instructor.
We also recommend that you watch this video on the subject of your question
Please login or Register to submit your answer