What are handcuffs? 🧐
They are a device used to lock two hands together. It can be made of metal, plastic, or leather and usually have two rings connected by a hinge and is primarily used by law enforcement officers to restrain suspects or prisoners during transport or arrest.
Handcuffs are a type of restraint device designed to restrain an individual’s wrists during law enforcement or security operations.
- ☑️ They are typically made from a metal alloy, such as steel, and feature two loops that can be locked together with a key or combination lock.
- ☑️ Lighter-weight models are available for those who will only be using them for short periods or do not have any physical limitations.
- ☑️ Most models come with both options of locking mechanism available and some even feature an additional third lock for added security.
- ☑️ Finally, consider how easily accessible the cuffs are; if you plan on using them in a high-traffic area, look for models that are easily accessible and come with extra keys or combinations.
Handcuffs are a valuable security tool used in law enforcement, correctional facilities, and for personal protection.
- ✨ One of the most important benefits is that they can help prevent further injury or death due to physical altercations. When used properly, cuffs limit the range of movement for an individual, making it much more difficult for them to cause harm to themselves or others.
- ✨ In addition to their ability to keep people safe, it also provides police officers with a powerful deterrent against criminal activity.
- ✨ Finally, one of the most beneficial aspects is that it allows officers to detain suspects without having to resort to more severe forms of force like stun guns or pepper spray.
How to buy a better one? ✍️
When it comes to buying better handcuffs, there are a few important things to consider.
➡️ The first decision you must make is between chainlink or hinged cuffs. Both types of cuffs are common, and each has its own set of advantages and disadvantages.
- 🔰 Chainlink cuffs are often considered more secure because they cannot be opened as easily as hinged cuffs. They also tend to be lighter in weight and more versatile since they can accommodate larger wrists than hinged cuffs. On the downside, chainlink cuffs may be less comfortable for long-term wear due to their rigid design.
- 🔰 Hinged cuffs, on the other hand, provide superior comfort thanks to their flexible design. They come in various sizes, allowing for a snugger fit on smaller wrists. However, they can be opened more easily than chainlink cuffs if not secured properly with keys or locks.
🔍 When shopping, always look for high-quality materials such as stainless steel or nickel-plated steel that won’t corrode over time from sweat or moisture exposure.
- 💣 Additionally, look for features like double locks that prevent accidental release of the cuff and swivel rings that make them easier to use with chains or other restraints.
- 💣 Finally, don’t forget about comfort – some models come with padded inserts that help protect skin from irritation caused by long-term wear.
TOP 15 Handcuffs 🚀
1# Smith & Wesson S&W 100 STD Melonite Handcuff
Smith & Wesson handcuff (model 100 Slot lock Melonite) meets NIJ (National Institute of Justice) standard 0307.01. Their weight is 10 oz, their wrist opening is 2.04 inches, and the distance between the cuffs is 2.00 inches. S&W handcuffs come with two keys.
2# ASP Hinge Aluminum Bow Ultra Cuffs
These ASP restraints blades and handles are made of 7075 T6 ordnance-grade aluminum. ASP offers 3 black finish models of Hinge Bow Ultra cuffs, according to the colored light indicators (Green, Blue, or Yellow), which show instant lock status recognition, on the double lock slots. Locks (primary and double) are opened by a single-direction key turning. The unitized locks can be field-serviced when needed, or be replaced with a high-security set.
3# Smith & Wesson M&P 100 Lever Lock Melonite
Smith & Wesson M&P 100 Lever Lock cuffs have typical S&W construction with an excellent durable black stylish finish. There is no need for a breaking-in period, as these cuffs work smoothly, just keep them clean and oiled.
4# Peerless Handcuff 730c Superlite Chain Link Handcuffs
Peerless Handcuff developed a new 730c model of Superlite Chain Link handcuffs, with a weight of 5.2 oz that is almost twice lighter than competitors’ similar cuffs. The main materials of Superlite Chain Link handcuffs are Stainless and Carbon steel, and aerospace-grade Aluminum. The 730c model components are steel chain links and swivels, spun rivet unit, the smooth single-strand mechanism (with 21 locking positions and a push-pin double-lock) two keys included.
5# Smith & Wesson S&W 300 STD Handcuffs
S&W STD Handcuffs are available in 3 models: two of them 300 STD are hinged one with Blued or Nickel finishing, and the rest one is 100 STD Blued. The main material of S&W STD Handcuffs is Steel and Nickel, these models are adjustable. The weight of the cuffs is 10 ounces, and the range between the pair is 2.00 inches. The retainers can open on the wrists at 2.04 inches. S&W handcuffs have two keys.
6# ASP Tactical Handcuff Restraint Open Top Cases for Hinged
ASP produces Handcuff Open Top Cases for Chain or Hinged Restraints in 4 color models: Black, Basketweave, Ballistic, and ASPTec. ASP has taken care of easy access and comfortable and safe storage of the cuffs, manufacturing black leather handcuffs cases (with black snap closure) that allow officials, who need to restrain offenders, to react efficiently and quickly. The restraint Open Top Cases are corner-stitched, that’s why even the wear of repeated cuffs retrievals will not cause detaching of the front part from the back one. The open bottom is a necessary extra space for the handcuff hinges or chains. These cases fit on any standard duty belt (up to 2.5 inches in width) due to the pull-through retention strap on the case’s backside.
7# Monadnock Cuff Oversized Steloy Hinge Handcuff
Monadnock 3154-H is an oversized Steloy Hinged Handcuff with Nickel finishing. Hinge handcuffs give the officers more control than chain ones while using them. Monadnock produces high-end tactical equipment for a very long time to provide law enforcement officers with the finest obtainable gear. Hiatt-hinged handcuffs are not only lightweight but sturdy as well due to the material Steloy, which is a combo of aluminum and steel.
8# Smith & Wesson S&W Model 1 Hinged Nickel Handcuff
Smith & Wesson designed Model 1H-1 as a universal hinge handcuff with a pin-lock. S&W hinged Handcuffs are made of carbon steel, which ensures cuffs’ durability and sturdiness, with nickel color finishing. These retainers open 12% larger and close 11% smaller than standard handcuffs. The wrist opening equals 2.40 in, and the length between the cuffs is 2.00 in. The total handcuffs weight is 12.0 oz.
9# UZI Professional Handcuffs
UZI proposes 2 models of professional chain handcuffs, depending on the finish: Black and Stainless Steel. These models come with 2 keys. UZI Professional Handcuff is a plated double-lock with 20 locking positions retainer (0.7 lbs weight), which needs to be lubricated with light oil from time to time.
10# ASP Ultra Handcuffs Chain Cuffs
ASP Ultra Chain Handcuffs are produced in 6 models with different pawl designs: Overmolded stainless steel, 3 Pawl, Green, European; Overmolded stainless steel, 2 Pawl, Blue, Security; Overmolded stainless steel, 1 Pawl, Yellow, Tactical; Aluminum,3 Pawl, Green, European; Aluminum,1 Pawl, Yellow, Tactical; Aluminum, 2 Pawl, Blue, Security.
ASP employed special technology to meet a new standard for police duty handcuffs to be lightweight due to the particularly designed frame from aluminum. ASP Ultra Handcuffs have a high contact bow face, each of which is cast to shape and profile trimmed with precise machining. ASP manufacturer engraved with the laser on the handcuffs a unique serial number and the manufacture date.
11# Smith & Wesson S&W 100 STD Nickel Handcuff
The main material of handcuffs is nickel-plated carbon steel with a nickel finish. Smith & Wesson 100 STD Handcuff has a double locking system, operating due to a slot lock as well as a key-actuated lock. The main measures are standard and the same for Smith & Wesson handcuffs: 2.00 in is the gap length between the retainers, 2.04 in is a wrist opening, and their weight is 10.0 oz.
12# Mtech MT-S4508 Handcuffs
Mtech USA produces 4 models of Handcuffs with chains (3 types: silver, black, and pink/silver) and one with a rigid bar (silver), all patterns come with two keys. These cuffs work with a regular standard handcuff key as well. Mtech proposes the Handcuffs series, made of durable carbon steel, with a double lock.
13# Mace Mts Nickel Plated Chain Link Handcuff
Mace Mts Handcuff is made of carbon steel. It is Nickel plated retainer with chain linking. These handcuffs weigh 8.8 oz. The main measures are: 2.0 in is a wrist opening, 9.0 in is a maximal overall length, and 2.8 mm is a jaw thickness. The pawl comes with two standard keys.
14# Hiatt-Thompson Hiatt Oversized Hinged Handcuff
Hiatt-Thompson oversized handcuffs link with a solid hinged connection, which is more durable than the cuffs with the roller chain. These handcuffs feel comfortable in the hands and are easy to grip and carry.
15# Peerless Handcuff Model 702b-6x Chain
Peerless handcuffs (model 702b-6x) with nickel finish have a 6-Inch chain between cuffs. The chain handcuffs operate due to the double locking and come with two keys.
⚙️ Clean, disinfect, lubricate, and function check ⚙️
Cleaning, disinfecting, lubricating, and function-checking your handcuffs regularly is an important part of keeping them working optimally.
- ✔️ To begin, start by thoroughly cleaning all parts of your cuffs with warm, soapy water. Use a soft brush or cloth to remove any dirt or debris from the chain links and cuffs themselves. Pay particular attention to the hinges as dirt and grime can build up here easily.
- ✔️ Once you have finished cleaning, rinse off any soap residue with clean water. Then pat dry with a soft cloth or towel.
- ✔️ After cleaning you should disinfect them to kill any remaining bacteria or germs which may be present. Use a household disinfectant to spray the cuffs and chain links until they are fully saturated. Leave for around 10 minutes before wiping away any excess solution with a damp cloth.
- ✔️ It’s also important to lubricate them regularly, as this will prevent them from becoming rusty over time and ensure that they move smoothly when being used. Put a few drops of silicone-based lube on the chain links and hinges. Using a soft cloth or brush, spread the lube across all areas until everything is evenly coated – this will help to keep your cuffs in top condition for longer.
- ✔️ Finally, you should carry out regular function checks to make sure that they are still working properly.
Handcuffs are an essential tool for law enforcement, security professionals, and military personnel. Our buyer’s guide has provided all the information and product reviews necessary to help you find the best solution for your needs. Whether it’s a heavy-duty model with extra padding or something lightweight that won’t weigh down your pockets, we hope this article has helped you make an informed decision about which type is best for you. Thanks again for taking time out to read – stay safe! 🥰❤️🔥
Tactical accessories are another passion of mine that I could write about endlessly - my house and garage are full of tactical gadgets, luckily my family shares my interests.
I'm infatuated with traveling that's why work at one place with a daily routine and standard schedule is not for me. I prefer copywriting and English tutoring as a freelancer. I live in a male family among constant talks about cars, guns, hunting, fishing, and, of course, dinosaurs 😊.
My husband is an obsessed hunter, and my two sons are fans of «Demolition Ranch» of YouTube blogger Matt Carriker. They are my best consultants about weapon and all-around ammunition topics. All together we share a love for adventures. Every camping or mounting hiking trip is a "small survival", giving irreplaceable experiences. Nothing can be better than the satisfaction of observing wild nature.
Motto: «Born in Ukraine, made is the USA».
Read more about our team of expert authors.
Affiliate Disclosure: Rotorm.com sometimes gets paid for listings, through sponsors or affiliate programs like Amazon, Optics Planet, Lucky Gunner, Brownells, Cabelas, Rainier Arms, 5.11 Tactical, Bass Pro Shop, etс. Clicking a link helps keep Rotorm.com free, at no extra cost to you!
About the author: Each article on our site is written by experts in survival and tactical equipment, gun enthusiasts, extreme travelers, military, law enforcement and desperate professionals, read about the author at the bottom of the article or visit "About Us" page.
Note: The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.