While the process of buying a gun may vary from state to state, some general steps are typically followed to purchase a gun.
1. In Idaho, would-be gun owners must first obtain a permit from the sheriff’s office in the county where they live.
2. Once you have obtained the permit, you can then visit a gun store and fill out a form called an ATF Form 4473. This form will ask for basic information about you and your firearms purchase.
3. After you have completed the form, the gun store will conduct a background check to ensure that you are eligible to purchase a firearm.
4. If everything checks out, you will then be able to take possession of your new gun!
We also recommend watching a video on how to buy your first gun
You will need to provide proof of residency, complete a firearms safety course, and pass a background check.
Once you have your license, you can purchase a gun from any federally licensed dealer in the state.
Handgun transfers must also be completed through a licensed dealer.
If you are purchasing a handgun from an individual, they must provide you with a bill of sale which must be notarized.
For more information on purchasing firearms in Idaho, please visit the Idaho State Police website.
You can also buy a gun from an individual seller. In this case, you will need to complete a background check through either the FBI or a licensed firearms dealer.
If you are looking to purchase a handgun, you must also have a valid Idaho concealed weapons permit. You can learn more about how to obtain one of these permits by visiting the Idaho State Police website.
- First, you must be at least 21 years of age.
- Second, you must have a valid driver’s license or state ID.
- Third, you must pass a background check.
- Fourth, you must take a firearms safety course.
- Fifth, you must purchase liability insurance for your gun.
- Lastly, it is recommended that you join a gun club or shooting range to stay up-to-date on gun safety and marksmanship skills.
If you are planning on purchasing a gun for hunting purposes, then you will need to obtain an Idaho hunting license first. You can do this by completing an application through the Idaho Department of Fish and Game’s website.
It is important to note that Idaho does have some unique laws when it comes to guns. For instance, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon without a permit in Idaho. It is also illegal to discharge a firearm within city limits unless you are at a shooting range or participating in a legal hunt. Be sure to research the gun laws in Idaho before purchasing a gun or bringing one into the state.
We also recommend checking out the best parts and accessories for your new gun.
In Idaho, there is no waiting period to purchase a firearm.
Concealed weapons permits are issued by county sheriffs at their discretion (best concealed carry holsters). Open carry of firearms is allowed without a permit.
When transporting a firearm in a vehicle, it must be unloaded and in plain view or locked in a case out of plain view.
For comprehensive information on purchasing and carrying firearms in Idaho, consult the state’s official website.
Please login or Register to submit your answer