What is the Best Single Action Revolver? 🔫
The question of self-defense is very actual nowadays. Many of us are concerned about safety because the world can be crazy sometimes.
Besides, there are a lot of people who shoot for fun or professionally. Anyway, the choice of the firearm is a rather difficult and interesting process, and it’s essential to find the most suitable weapon for you to ensure the best experience. If you are looking for something powerful yet compact, we suggest taking a look at single-action revolvers. We are glad to make you familiar with all the necessary aspects and details.
The variety of models is huge, so it’s a little complicated to quickly figure out which one suits you better. Each revolver has its own advantages and downsides that make it unique. We have spent a lot of time distinguishing the 11 best models on the market, and we are happy to share them with you. What are they?
- 🔫 Reliability: They are extremely reliable. They have fewer moving parts, which reduces the risk of mechanical failure. This means that, in most cases, they will fire every time the trigger is pulled.
- 🛠️ Ease of Maintenance: Due to their simpler mechanism, they are easier to clean and maintain. This can be particularly advantageous for beginners or for those who do not want to spend a lot of time on maintenance.
- 🎯 Accuracy: Many users find them to be highly accurate. This is partly due to the user needing to cock the hammer for each shot, which can lead to a steadier aim.
- 💪 Durability: They tend to be extremely durable. They are often made with high-quality materials that can withstand heavy use and harsh conditions.
- 🤝 The Simplicity of Use: They are relatively straightforward to operate, with no need for de-cocking or safeties. This can be a benefit for those who prefer a simpler firearm or for those in high-stress situations where simplicity is crucial.
- 🤠 Single-Action Mechanism: This type requires the hammer to be manually cocked before each shot. This allows the user to fire the gun by exerting minimal pressure on the trigger.
- 🔄 Cylindrical Chamber: They typically have a cylindrical chamber that holds the ammunition. The number of rounds it can carry varies, but six is common.
- 🚪 Loading Gate: Most of them have a loading gate on the side of the cylinder, which allows for the loading and unloading of ammunition.
- 🎯 Fixed or Adjustable Sights: Some of them revolvers come with fixed sights, while others have adjustable ones. The latter allows the user to fine-tune their aim for better accuracy.
- 💥 Ejector Rod: This feature allows the user to quickly eject spent cartridges from the cylinder, speeding up the reloading process.
- 🖐️ Grip Design: Often features a grip that allows for a firm and comfortable hold, enhancing control and accuracy. The materials for the grips can vary, from wood to synthetic, each providing a different feel and aesthetic.
Types of Single-Action Revolvers 💥
They come in various styles, each with its unique features and functions. Some of the most common types include:
- 🔫 Colt Single Action Army: Also known as the Peacemaker, it is one of the most famous revolvers. It was introduced in the late 19th century and was widely used in the American West.
- 🔫 Ruger Blackhawk: It is a modern variant that is known for its durability and accuracy. It is designed for high-pressure loads and is available in various calibers.
- 🔫 Ruger Vaquero: Designed to resemble the classic Colt Peacemaker, it is a popular choice for cowboy action shooting. It features a fixed sight system and a more traditional Western-style grip.
- 🔫 Freedom Arms Model 83: This is a high-end gun designed for hunting and precision shooting. It’s known for its high-quality build, incredible accuracy, and ability to handle powerful calibers.
- 🔫 Heritage Rough Rider: A more affordable option gun, it is often used for small game hunting and target shooting. It’s available in .22 caliber, which makes it a low-cost choice for ammunition as well.
- 🔫 Uberti Replicas: They produce a range of replicas from the Old West era, such as the 1873 Cattleman series, which are known for their authenticity and craftsmanship.
- 🔫 Magnum Research BFR: Standing for “Big Frame Revolver,” it is designed for hunting big game. It is capable of firing powerful rounds and is known for its robust construction.
Each type offers unique characteristics and benefits, which can cater to different needs and preferences. The choice between them would depend on factors such as the intended use, budget, and personal preference for a particular design or caliber.
Best Single Action Revolver Review
1# Heritage Rough Rider Single-Action Revolver
Talking about revolvers, we all imagine cowboys from different Westerns. That’s why it can be important to have an old-fashioned design. This model looks like a popular Old West model but offers modern characteristics for a low price.
The barrel and cylinder are made of blued carbon steel, meanwhile, the frame is made of aluminum, which means it is durable but lightweight, and it’s also corrosive-proof. The cylinder locks up tightly, and the hammer block is securely mounted. Thanks to the Cocobolo grip, the gun looks great, and it’s easy and comfortable to use it. It’s a great buy for such a price.
2# Ruger Single-Six Convertible Single-Action Revolver In Stainless Steel
The next model is a good choice for both beginners and pros. Thanks to the solid and easy-to-use construction, it’s really simple to shoot with this revolver. The frame, barrel, and cylinder are made of stainless steel, which ensures great durability and a nice look. Two interchangeable cylinders allow you to switch between a .22 Long Rifle (Long/Short) and a .22 WMR.
This makes it rather universal, so you can use it for hunting and protection. Thanks to the Transfer Bar mechanism, the gun will never fire accidentally, even when it falls on the hammer. Plus, the fixed front sight and adjustable rear sight facilitate the use and increase accuracy.
3# Ruger Wrangler Single-Action Rimfire Revolver With Black Cerakote Finish
Here is another rather cheap gun that can satisfy all your needs with a breeze. It’s comfortable, accurate, and durable. The revolver has a burnt bronze Cerakote finish that protects metal from corrosion and an aluminum alloy frame. It uses affordable .22 LR ammo, which makes it popular among ranch and farm livers who deal with various pests.
Thanks to the cold, hammer-forged barrel that has a 1:14 rifling, the accuracy is awesome, and you can aim precisely lining up the blade front and integral notch rear sights, while the synthetic grip ensures the best shooting control. This model is also protected with the transfer bar loading gate interlock to prevent accidents.
4# Uberti 1873 Cattleman II Single-Action Revolver
In the 4th place, there is a beautifully-designed reproduction of old revolvers that were used at the end of the 19th century. It has the same elegant look and great power but better accuracy and safety. Thanks to the retractable firing pin, the gun is totally safe to use.
The barrel, cylinder, and housing are made of blued carbon steel, which means you don’t have to worry about the gun’s durability. Plus, it’s super comfortable to hold it, thanks to the brass grip frame with wooden grips. This model is not cheap but it has a lower price, compared to the old.45 Colts. This is a good advantage.
5# Uberti 1873 SINGLE-ACTION CATTLEMAN “TEDDY” 45 COLT REVOLVER
Introducing the UBERTI 1873 SINGLE-ACTION CATTLEMAN “TEDDY” 45 COLT REVOLVER, a truly exceptional piece from Uberti’s limited-edition Outlaws and Lawmen collection. Each gun in this collection pays tribute to the historical figures who carried the original guns they are named after. With only a limited number available each year, these highly-collectible firearms are truly rare and unique.
It is a homage to one of America’s most remarkable icons, Theodore “Teddy” Roosevelt. From being a rancher and police commissioner to a hunter, conservationist, Assistant Secretary of the Navy, cavalry colonel, and the 26th President of the United States, Teddy Roosevelt’s legacy is immense. This gun replicates the engraving found on his beloved ivory-handled Colt, symbolizing his larger-than-life persona and his contributions to preserving the natural beauty of our nation.
Crafted with meticulous attention to detail, it exudes elegance and historical significance. It features a 5.5″ barrel length, 45 Colt cartridge, and a 6-round cartridge capacity. With an overall length of 11 inches, this masterpiece is a true testament to the manufacturer’s commitment to excellence.
Experience the pride of owning a piece of history with it. Whether you are a collector, enthusiast, or appreciate fine craftsmanship, it is sure to captivate your senses.
6# Uberti 1873 Cattleman II Single-Action Revolver With Brass Grip Frame
We have already reviewed a reproduction of .45 Colts designed by this manufacturer, now it’s time for .357 Magnums. It’s ruggedly built, and it uses a retractable firing pin to increase safety that you couldn’t find back in times of the Old West.
To make the gun look more like old models, it has a color case-handed cylinder frame and a brass grip frame. The grip is firm, thanks to the wood grip with a smooth finish. The front and rear sights are fixed, which makes them reliable enough. The model suits any purpose.
7# Ruger Blackhawk HANDGUN 357 MAGNUM
Featuring Ruger’s patented transfer bar ignition system with loading gate interlock, the New Model Blackhawk® ensures superior safety and reliability. The all-coil spring mechanism guarantees smooth and precise operation, shot after shot. With adjustable sights and a frame-mounted firing pin, you have complete control over your accuracy and target acquisition.
In addition to its exceptional performance, this gun offers versatility. Chambered in both 357 Magnum and 9mm, you have the flexibility to choose your preferred cartridge. With a barrel length of 6.5 inches and a blued finish, this exudes a timeless appeal that will make you stand out in the range.
8# Taurus Judge Public Defender Double/Single Action Revolver
This revolver differs a bit from the previous models. First of all, it has an absolutely different design. The frame is made of polymers, which doesn’t seem durable enough, but the body is actually made of steel, so you don’t have to worry. The gun is very compact and easy to use. It has a rifled barrel, and it’s chambered for 2-½-inch .410 shells or .45 Colt.
The adjustable rear sight and high-visibility front sight ensure simple and accurate aiming. The firearm is also protected by the transfer bar mechanism. However, the most outstanding feature is that it can be used in single- and double-action modes.
9# Smith & Wesson MODEL 642 PERFORMANCE
Benefit from the expert hand-cutting and fitting, as well as precise fine-tuning, that goes into every Performance Center firearm. Whether based on standard designs or created from scratch, they embody the pinnacle of old-world artistry and modern innovation.
This model showcases a range of features that elevate its performance to new heights. With a high-bright, polished cylinder and cylinder flutes, as well as a polished thumbpiece and side plate screws, this gun exudes elegance and attention to detail. The custom synthetic grip with wood inserts provides a comfortable and secure hold, ensuring optimal control and accuracy.
One notable feature is the cylinder cut specifically for full moon clips, which are included with your purchase. These clips allow for the simultaneous insertion and extraction of cartridges, enhancing both convenience and efficiency.
BONUS: Berry’s Preferred Plated Pistol Bullets
If you like shooting and you are decided to buy one of these amazing single-action revolvers, you will definitely need ammunition. This copper-jacketed bullets alternative is a great solution for a decent price. These bullets are accurate and they don’t lead up barrels, forcing cones, and feeding ramps.
Why Are Single-Action Revolvers Popular? 😍
🔫 Single-action revolvers enjoy enduring popularity due to a variety of reasons. A significant factor is their historical significance and the nostalgia they evoke. These firearms played a critical role in the American West and have been immortalized in countless movies, TV shows, and novels. They symbolize the ‘Old West’ and its values of rugged independence and bravery.
🚩 Another key aspect of their popularity is their mechanical simplicity and reliability. With fewer moving parts than their semi-automatic counterparts, there are fewer components that can fail or jam, leading to a dependable firearm that is straightforward to maintain. This reliability, combined with their sturdy construction, means these guns can endure tough conditions and still function effectively.
🎯 Accuracy is another compelling reason for their popularity. The process of manually cocking the hammer for each shot can lead to improved aim and precision. Some shooters also appreciate the deliberate, unhurried pace of using them, finding it adds an element of skill and discipline to their shooting.
👍 Furthermore, they are often appreciated for their aesthetic appeal. They possess a classic, timeless design that many firearm enthusiasts find attractive. Whether it’s the gleam of a polished metal finish or the grain of a wooden grip, the craftsmanship and attention to detail in many of them are often a selling point.
🏆 Finally, there’s a considerable community around single-action shooting, especially in events like cowboy action shooting. These events offer camaraderie, competition, and the chance to step back in time, further enhancing the appeal of these iconic firearms.
💪 In conclusion, single-action revolvers remain a popular choice for many due to their historical significance, mechanical simplicity, reliability, and aesthetic appeal. The article reviews a variety of models, each with its unique features and benefits, catering to different needs and preferences.
⭐ From the Heritage Rough Rider Single-Action Revolver, known for its Old West design and affordability, to the Uberti 1873 Single-Action Cattleman “Teddy” 45 Colt Revolver, a limited-edition piece paying tribute to Theodore Roosevelt, the selection is vast.
The choice between them would depend on factors such as the intended use, budget, and personal preference for a particular design or caliber. Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned pro, there’s a gun out there that’s perfect for you. 😉
My life has taken me through different complications and exciting moments, so what I’ve learned is to always be ready to fight. My father is professional military personnel and he made me familiar with various weapons since my childhood. My first one was a bow, and then I started to have a fancy for this unbelievable world of firearms. My main specialization allows me to share my thoughts about different devices, guns, and gun details with the English-speaking community. In my articles, I talk about pistols, rifles, knives, shotguns, and many other tactical and survival things.
Read more about our team of expert authors.
Affiliate Disclosure: Rotorm.com sometimes gets paid for listings, through sponsors or affiliate programs like Amazon, Optics Planet, Lucky Gunner, Brownells, Cabelas, Rainier Arms, 5.11 Tactical, Bass Pro Shop, etс. Clicking a link helps keep Rotorm.com free, at no extra cost to you!
About the author: Each article on our site is written by experts in survival and tactical equipment, gun enthusiasts, extreme travelers, military, law enforcement and desperate professionals, read about the author at the bottom of the article or visit "About Us" page.
Note: The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.